Friday, December 7, 2012

The Fabulous Glass Island - Murano


There is nothing like mouth blown Murano glass.  My favorite wholesaler actually had the beads in the first necklace blown to my specification when they went to Venice to place orders for their company.   The blowers affectionately referred to the large top bead as The Hockey Puck.  The other necklaces are hand formed and are exquisitely layered as only THEY know how to do. 

When starting out, I saw so many pretty beads that "looked similar" to the Murano (the glass island next to Venice) glass bead and they were so much cheaper!  So I tried using them to keep the price down.  It was not worth it.  While I  do not abuse my jewelry, I am not the most gentle either; the fake beads broke before I could sell them in most cases and I had requests for repairs in others.  When on the island for my first purchase many years ago, I was told by the blower that Murano glass would probably break something else before it would be broken.  All I can say is that I lay my jewelry flat -- away from metal or sharp objects (doesn't everyone?),  in a drawer with lots of other things and nothing ever even been scratched or damaged in any way.




The bottom necklace is also available in beige.

No comments:

Post a Comment